Monday, March 2, 2009

Weather Diptychs

The weather blog is an "international photo project about weather, emotion and communicating through photography" that was conceived by two artists as part of the Transcultural Exchange 2009 project. Miriam Songster of New York and Hege Dons Samset of Berlin designed a three-part project consisting of the weather photos blog (also known as "We Are Having Weather"), a video exhibition in Shanghai Zendai MoMA in November 2008 and participation in "Here, There and Everywhere", part of the Transcultural Exchange conference to be held in Boston in April 2009.

I learned about the weather blog from Alicia Hunsicker, who participated in it online and also in the exhibition in China. Beginning later today, between 4 and 5 pm, I will start posting photos to the weather blog along with my partner, the Raketa crew of Stockholm, Sweden. Raketa describes themselves as: "a network of people running interdisciplinary, collaborative projects and experiments within art, design, architecture and digital media." Sounds exciting!

The idea is that the weather blog partners communicate with each other through their photos about the weather and their emotional response to the weather. Each partner is supposed to post at least one photo a day, and the idea is to respond to each other, not just keep posting from your own perspective.

So I've been taking photos documenting the weather, but I don't know if I'll post all of them to the blog because I will wait to see what my partners do. But the contrast between yesterday's weather and today's is pretty extreme. I shot some comparison views and am posting them below as diptychs. The first picture in a set was taken yesterday, March 1st, and the second image was today, March 2nd. They are all taken in my yard or looking out the window.





















I won't show you the image I am first going to post to the weather blog. You'll have to go there to look tonight. We will be in the sidebar list under: Nancy (Massachusetts, USA) + Raketa (Sweden).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weather is like that here. An old saying here is: Wait 24 hours and it will change. Some of your photos look like that too.

Alicia Blaze Hunsicker said...

Hi Nancy, I found the Weather Project exchange to be exciting. You never know how the other artist will respond or what they will respond to.... color, shape, pattern, composition, emotion, time of day, light/dark, or subject matter. It was stimulating in so many ways. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Good Luck! and thanks for the mention. ~Alicia

Nancy Natale said...

Thanks, Alicia. I appreciate your letting me know about it. It's been fun and surprising so far. I am paired with a group in Sweden who have a great sense of humor. That is the great facilitator to communication.